This page contains free English tests and papers with hundreds of free online questions and answers. The free tests are at 11 plus, Key Stage 2 and SATs level, and are suitable for children who are age ten, eleven or above. The online English tests cover the following topics:
- Punctuation – apostrophes, speech marks, quotation marks, quotes, inverted commas, direct speech, commas, semi-colons, colons, full stops, question marks, capital letters, capitalisation
- Spelling – proofreading, proofread and correct mistakes in misspelt words, multiple-choice cloze (missing word) spelling tests requiring selection of the correctly spelt word
- Synonyms – words closest in meaning
- Antonyms – words opposite in meaning
- Parts of Speech Grammar – identification of adjectives, adverbs, prepositions, conjunctions, pronouns, concrete nouns, abstract nouns, collective nouns
- Literary devices (figurative language) – identification of alliteration, personification, simile, metaphor, onomatopoeia, oxymoron
- Vocabulary – cloze (missing word) tests, select the missing word that best completes the sentence based on context
- Comprehension – multiple-choice and standard format English comprehension tests with passages taken from The Surgeon of Gaster Fell by Arthur Conan Doyle, The Grand Babylon Hotel by Arnold Bennett and The Law of Life by Jack London.
The free online English tests are located near the top of the web page. Four pdf paper English comprehension tests are further down the web page.
This page also contains demo test software of our online 11+ (11 plus) English membership packages for Essex CSSE , SET Selective Eligibility Test and CEM independent, secondary and grammar school entrance exams.